Hamilton Township Website
3042 N Rodgers Rd.
Harrison, MI 48625
Phone 989-539-7943 ~ FAX 989-539-3950










Waste Management:
Q. I am being charged for rubbish pickup but I have no rubbish, itís a vacant lot?
A. Contact the Township Supervisor, see directory for #s, he will inspect your property and has the authority to remove the charge from your tax bill. Typically, if there are buildings or anything that requires removal, your request will be denied.

Assessed value and Taxable value:
Q. Why did my Taxable Value go up when my assessed value went down?
A. Taxable Value is determined by adding the, (2007 ex - inflation increase of 2.3 %), to last
years Taxable Value. This method is established by law and neither the assessor nor the Board of Review have control over Taxable Value.

Q. Home prices are falling by the thousands, why did my Assessed Value only go down a little?
A. For assessments, not all home prices are falling. Remember assessments are tied to assessed values, not asking prices. If someone is asking $150,000 and sells for $130,000, but the assessor has the property valued at $120,000 that sale will show as an increase on the sales study. If they are asking $130,000 and sell for $110,000 then that would show as a decrease.
Both types of sales occur that impact the Assessed Value differently.

A. Sales studies are based on a rolling two year set of sales. It takes a year or two to reflect an
actual decrease. Last year, was the first year to show an increase for some time. If sales continue to come down for another year or two, assessments will decrease. When sales start rising, it will take a couple of years for assessments to increase.

Q. My Taxable Value increased $1,000. Does that mean my taxes are going up $1,000 this year?
A. No it does not, a $1,000 equates to approximately $20.00 in tax increase for a principle residence and $40 for a non-principle residence in Clare County.

Q. I just bought my house last year and the taxable value doubled, why?
A. Because of Proposal A which took effect in 1994, when a property transfers to a new owner the
Taxable Value increases to the Assessed Value in the year following the sale and then is capped at the rate of inflation as long as you own the property.

Q. If I donít agree with my assessed value, what can I do?
1. Talk to the assessor, explain why you think your assessment is wrong. .
2. Go to Board of Review to appeal the assessor, be prepared to show proof of value.
3. Appeal the Board of Reviewís decision to the State Tax Tribunal.
4. Finally, if you have any other questions, give your assessor a call.


Home / Directory / Assessment / Planning / Zoning / Facilities & Services / Documents / Helpful Links
Community / F.A.Q. / Calendar / Site Map / Staff Email Login

Contact Website Manager at sherjudd@gmail.com
Rabbit Web Design